PROJECT Strategy & Policy
Building sustainable self-sufficient communities in rural areas around the Slovakia-Ukrainian border.
How to account for ecological, economic, social and cultural impact to recover a border region?
The area that covers the border between Slovakia and the Transcarpathian region in Ukraine has a great – and mostly untapped – potential for tourism with an ecological approach. With various rural communities, any project that aims for the region’s development has the challenge to converge the needs from different groups, and also the environment itself.
The Eco-Village project takes place in Prešov and Košice region as well as in Perechyn region which borders with districts of eastern Slovakia. Over all of its implementation the project should involve a network of about thirteen partners from Slovakia, Ukraine and Norway.
The main focus is the gradual recovery of the environment and society in four dimensions – ecological, economic, social and cultural. The project will seek to raise the whole region, especially by exploiting its tourist potential and also raise public awareness of the need for renewable energy and the necessity of ecological approach to the environment.
The Eco-Village network will focus on the implementation of three major initiatives:
- Promotion and development of eco-tourism in the border region and beyond.
- Support for building eco-villages (eco-communities) in the border region and beyond.
- Raising public awareness of the need for sustainability of human activities and the use of renewable energy.
IDN was responsible for a comprehensive study on existing ecovillages around Europe and recommendations on how this best could be implemented in Slovakia. The full outcomes from the project were:
- The Eco-Village partner network.
- Assessment of the sustainability level of local communities/villages and mapping of tourist attractions in the border region.
- Roadshow of the mobile education center (MEC).
- Creation of promotional materials: website, videos, brochures.
- Meetings with mayors from the region to present the project and best practices.
- Cross-border workshops for mayors in the border region.
- 4 information centers for the development of green practices, ecovillages and ecotourism in the border region.
- Promotion of eco-tourism in the border region.